Senior Engineering Manager / Director of Engineering - Mobile/iOS/Android
Are you hungry to make an impact? Want to take a leading role in building systems reaching millions of people? Do you feel at home working on a fast paced team? Then come join one of the top ranked mobile startups in the world.
We’re a lean, cross-functional team of highly motivated engineers, data scientists, product managers, marketers, and designers. Our projects range from small experiments in optimization to big swings at creating brand new user experiences.
Our Product team is driving substantial increases in active users, fueling our rise to one of the top apps in the app store and world. Our user-base is global, engaged, and growing, and we’re just getting started!
We are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager/ Director of Engineering to provide sound technical leadership in all aspects of our business. You will communicate with employees, stakeholders and customers to develop and implement the technology roadmap alongside our Director of Product.
Strategic thinking and strong business acumen are essential in this role. We expect you to be well-versed in current technological trends and familiar with a variety of business concepts, as well as an excellent communicator and public speaker. If this is you, we’d like to meet you. This position is located in Austin, TX and we'll move you here (remote possible for U.S. only)!
At Newchip, we help over 100,000 users connect with alternative asset investments and we are growing at a massive rate and we are looking for a seasoned Engineering Manager to help scale our mobile development team. If you're an intelligent and highly ambitious entrepreneur, we want to talk to you.
Projects we work on include:
Location: building new location-based investment experiences on Newchip.
Authentication: rebuilt and streamlined Newchip authentication and account management systems, adding support for alternative signup and login methods like phone number in order to fuel growth in downloads and registrations.
Push Notifications: optimized the central service for all transactional push notification strategy behind daily push notifications. Our team A/B tests delivery strategies in order to increase delivery rates, reduce opt-outs, and increase user engagement.
New User Onboarding: optimized the new user experience to maximize the likelihood that a new user falls in love with Newchip.
Recommend: built the ability to share Newchip recommendations and investments with your friends!
User Retention: optimized the end of the user lifecycle funnel, building features to understand why users stop using Newchip and adding incentives or addressing their friction points.
And much more in the works!
As an Engineering Manager on our Product team, you will:
- Work closely with engineering and product leadership to prioritize initiatives to deliver the greatest value to the business
- Drive architectural decisions, design, implementation, and operation of resilient distributed services to serve hundreds of thousands of users around the world
- Lead a team of 5-10 mobile engineers to build and shape the best experience for Newchip users to discover investments (e.g. the swiping experience, discovery, and overall investment)
- Split time evenly between hands-on coding and managing and growing a team
- Collaborate across various teams, including product, devops, platform, clients, community, etc.
- Ensure that technical designs support our goals of quality, performance, scalability, reliability, availability, maintainability, and security
- Help us scale to meet the ever growing Newchip user base and global audience
- Define and own the objectives and key metrics for your team, and devise a development strategy and roadmap
- Collaborate with many cross-functional teams (product, design, backend, analytics) to execute on that roadmap, and deliver it with high quality in a timely manner
- Mentor and coach the career development of your team
- Recruit and build a world-class mobile team
Bonus points if you have:
Hands-on mobile or web development experience
Experience with geospatial data storage and utilization
Experience with Hadoop, Spark, Cassandra, or other big data tools
Startup leadership experience
Implemented machine learning algorithms in production
Run A/B tests and analyzed the results
React Native, NodeJS, and Java experience
Understanding of growth-related metrics
- Develop technical aspects of the company’s strategy to ensure alignment with its business goals
- Discover and implement new technologies that yield competitive advantage
- Help departments use technology profitably
- Supervise system infrastructure to ensure functionality and efficiency
- Build quality assurance and data protection processes
- Use stakeholders’ feedback to inform necessary improvements and adjustments to technology
- Monitor KPIs and IT budgets to assess technological performance
- Communicate technology strategy to partners and investors
- 3+ years experience in seed-stage technology startups from 0-50 employees/Seed to Series A or later (this role requires strong tech startup experience- small businesses and enterprise will not be considered)
- 3+ years of recent experience in app/mobile tech startups, (preferably consumer focused vs. B2B) (FinTech is major +)
- 3+ years experience managing a team of 5+ software engineers, including coaching and mentoring individuals to grow in their career
- 2+ years of mobile development experience and 5+ years of general development experience
- 2+ years of technology leadership, management, and strategy development and execution experience
- Proven experience and recommendations as a engineering leader or similar tech startup leadership role
- A BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or Engineering from a top school, but a wonderful project list is even better, MBA or other relevant graduate degree is a plus
- Has led a team to ship an iOS app at scale (100,000+ users and or $1mil+ in revenue)
- A passionate and avid app user (bonus points if you use mobile apps to invest)
- Experience with large scale distributed systems
- Experience designing clearly-documented resilient APIs
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment
- Wisdom to know when and how to make technical trade offs
- AWS and Heroku experience preferred (we're on Heroku)
- Someone who is not afraid to make critical decisions and has a bias towards action
- Knowledge of mobile technological trends to build strategy alongside product teams
- Hands-on experience with database technologies at scale (either SQL or NoSQL)
- Ability to inspire and motivate the team to go above and beyond
- Deep knowledge of mobile architecture (e.g. Clean)
- Experience managing in-house and external development teams, budgets, recruiting, team-building, and business-planning
- Ability to conduct technological analyses and data driven research-- we're a data driven decision company--
- We follow data and best industry practices, provide training, and you must be able to travel and get certified as needed
- Eagerness to keep learning and growing, and a passion for providing mentorship
- Passionate about making high user impact and moving key metrics
- The hustle of a startup with the impact of a global business
- Tremendous opportunity to solve some of the industry’s most exciting problems
- Working with an extraordinary team of smart, creative, fun and highly motivated people
- Comprehensive health coverage, competitive salary, 401(k) match and meaningful equity
- PTO, 3 open window vacation periods per year, and flexible working hours, (remote available)
- Modern, uplifting work environment in an ideal location
- And much more...